With a new year often comes the urge to change up a few things in our lives to reflect the fresh start. It may involve hitting the gym, clearing out our bulging wardrobes, or dreaming of transforming our appearance with a new hairstyle. At Additional Lengths, we love the power hair extensions can have on completely reinventing your look. So if you’re considering hair extensions as part of your new year look, we’ve put together a quick and easy guide on hair extensions for beginners to help you choose the best type for you.
What are the different types of hair extensions?
We stock a fabulous range of hair extensions from leading brands such as Remi Cachet that offer temporary or more long term hair extension options to suit your preferences. A good place to start with when it comes to hair extensions for beginners is to familiarise yourself with the different types of extensions on the market, so you can hopefully find the right kind to suit your lifestyle and your hair.
- Clip-in Hair Extensions: The perfect solution for those ladies looking for instant volume and length without the commitment! Securely attach the pieces of clip in hair extensions to transform your hair for a special occasion or for a bridal hairstyle, or as a cost-effective hair extensions option.
- Tape Hair Extensions: This type of hair extension is ideal for those with fine hair. Easy to attach, tape hair extensions involve a strip of hair which is applied either side of a section of your own hair, with the adhering strip securing the hair near the root.
- Weft Hair Extensions: Another more permanent hair extension type is weft hair extensions which involve a long section of hair which has been sewn into a weft strip that is then attached to your own hair by sewing, glueing or plaiting techniques. For a more natural finish, the weft can be cut into strips and applied where needed.
- Pre-Bonded Hair Extensions: Opt for pre-bonded hair extensions if you’re looking for a long term extension product to change up your look in 2019. Pre-bonded hair extensions can be safely applied to your hair in several different ways, including hot or cold fusion and micro-ring method, and can last up to a year with maintenance appointments. At Additional Lengths, we stock Flat Tips, Stick Tips, Nail Tips and micro ring hair extensions, like Remi Cachet Ultra Tips® and Mini Tips® hair extensions.
What are hair extensions made from?
Naturally, there are pros and cons of the various kinds of hair extensions and what they are made from. Synthetic hair extensions are a cheaper material, but you’re limited with styling as applying heat to synthetic hair extensions may result in damage. Human hair extensions and Remy hair extensions are a more costly but worthwhile option.
So, what is Remy hair?
Remy hair is human hair and it’s a popular hair extension choice for those looking for a natural look with their hair extensions. Remy hair extensions are smooth and less prone to tangling because the cuticles of the hair remain and they flow in the same direction from root to tip. Another benefit of human hair extensions is that they are easy to blend with your own hair due to the natural texture they provide. Human hair extensions are also great for those who love using heated stylers such as straighteners and curling wands, with the styles being easily washed out without damaging the hair.
Key points to consider:
- Choose the right hair extensions for your needs: Whether you’re looking for something temporary for your dream bridal hair, or an everyday look you can rely on, you’ll need to consider either clip in hair extensions or permanent hair extensions accordingly. Consider the maintenance (cost and time) required with more permanent types of hair extensions, and what you’d prefer your new locks to be made from to get the best results.
- Style of extensions: This is where you determine the length and thickness of the human hair extensions to suit your personal style.
- Colour match: How to color match hair extensions will depend on the different shades in your natural hair, as many of us have highlights or balayage to consider. Colour matching is the key to blending hair extensions seamlessly, with no giveaway differences in hair shades, so that it looks natural.
- Maintenance: No matter the type of hair extensions, they are an investment and should be looked after so that they remain in top condition. Be sure to take the time to wash them with appropriate hair care products and take note of your hair extensions aftercare guide.
If you’re considering clip in hair extensions, pre-bonded hair extensions or weft extensions, be sure to take a look at our Additional Lengths Instagram page for beautiful hair inspiration.