Your excited to create this new and exciting change to your hair with extensions. However adding georgerous, longer thick hair does mean extra care. Extension hair is also different than your natural hair in some ways. Tape Ins are an investment so you are going to want them to last. Better care means longer lasting. They main way they differ from your own hair is they are not connected to your scalp.
Your scalp produces oils that lubricate your natural hair and keep it healthy. When extension hair is cut it requires much more care, especially permanent type like these that are worn every single day. We have some care tips you can follow in order to maintain the beautiful quality of your new human hair extensions so that they can be reused. With hair extensions daily care is a must. They need more than just a wash and go. With these care tips and as always hair quality is a factor it is possible to reuse the hair for a year or longer. The biggest factor in longevity is taking care of the hair every day.
Daily Care Tips For Wearing Seamless Tape In Hair Extensions:
- Keep your hair extensions untangled by taking time to care for them every day.
- When hair extensions are wet avoid brushing them with any type of brush that is not a wet brush.
- Do not go to sleep with wet hair extensions. After you dry and brush your hair braid it into a ponytail to avoid tangling while asleep.
- Use a wet brush or a hair extensions brush and brush your hair several times a day. Hold the root of your hair when brushing with your hand to avoid tension on the extension bonds. A wide tooth comb can be used to remove tangles if need be.
- Do not use any products especially near the bonds that contain alcohol, oil or ethanol as this can damage the bonds on your hair extensions and cause them to fall out. When using products on the hair itself choose high quality ones. However, do not over use them as they can build up over time and cause tangling. When choosing a shampoo and conditioner use sulfate free products.
- When you condition your hair, apply the conditioner on your ends up to your mid-shaft only. Avoid getting conditioner near the tabs as it can weaken your tape bonds and cause them to fall out.
- When you apply oils or serums use the same caution as conditioning and apply from ends to mid-shaft. Avoid contact with bonds that are near your scalp.Using natural products can keep your hair healthy and shiny. Products such as coconut oil or argan-oil is a good natural option.
- It is very important to never use bleach or lightener on hair extensions. When depositing coloring go no more than two shades darker. Always use a test strand first to see how it reacts to the color.
- After swimming or working out be sure to wash your hair extensions to remove any chemicals or swear.
- High heat from hot tools will shorten the lifespan of your hair extensions. When using them always use a heat protecting spray. Using a lower heat setting is alway recommend for protecting the life of your hair.
- When using a flat iron do not apply it onto the tabs. This can weaken the bonds and cause them to slip out.
- It is important in order to keep your hair extensions healthy to have them removed and reinstalled every six to ten weeks.
- Your natural hair sheds between fifty and one hundred strands each day. Many of these hairs will be in between the bonds of your tape hair. It is normal to see them released when you do a move up and should not be considered as hair loss or damage to your natural hair.
- Wash your hair with a clarifying shampoo before your hair appointment for moving up your hair extensions. Your stylist prior to installing your hair extensions will also use a clarifying shampoo. This will allow for a clean reinstallation of your tape bonds so they so that no chemicals or oils will affect the tape bonds.
- If you have lost a significant amount of your own hair due to thinning or illness consult with your stylist for another option as Tape in extensions may very likely not be a good fit for your natural hair.
Your hair extensions are an investment in yourself and they are beautiful. Taking care of them is extra care and work on your daily routine but it is worth it to keep them long lasting.